Wednesday, June 25, 2014

The Person or the Actions?

Yes, I am appalled by how Jean Robb is acting and what she is doing, but only because she is a danger to the quality of life of our beach and city.  Her rudeness could be tolerated but her actions and vocal attacks against the best interests of the city cannot.  

Keeping the OVER developers from ruining the quality of life of Deerfield Beach is how I became interested in City Hall.  I was a part time resident in 1993 when we bought our first place here near the beach, and now am a full time resident.  The commission and city manager in 1999, when I first started to question what was happening to the beach area, were kissy-poo with every developer who wanted to use our beach for personal profit.
I learned about the OSOBs and happily joined them in their fight to keep the main beach parking lot from being turned into a commercial development, and have been working with them to keep the beach area from worse traffic and congestion ever since.  Not an easy job, however (see the OSOB time line, www.originalsaveourbeach.org ) with help from residents in all districts our efforts have paid off. 

Mayor Robb wants to undo our protections for the beach.  She has said many times that she wants to allow land owners to be able to build without the restrictions put in place after residents were shocked by the massive Tiara East building and wanted nothing like that on the beach again.  The then commissioners, forced by the public, put lot coverage and height limits on beach building. 
The commission with Al Capellini and Peggy Noland and from what I saw, controlled by City Manager Larry Deetjen did away with those limits to benefit a developer.  But, remembering what happened in the past, the again shocked residents, through referenda signed by thousands of residents and voted into the charter, restored the building codes. 

Mayor Robb’s lame excuse that allowing curb to curb buildings on beach lots will eliminate the drug rehab houses is laughable.  All cities are beset by these ADA protected facilities; codes have nothing to do with it.  Mayor Robb’s support for doing away with the beach building codes after she supported the OSOB past efforts, and has always been a voice against overdevelopment is puzzling.  
I and thousands of residents and members of the OSOBs, will fight her efforts to change the codes.

I spoke against her effort to thwart the Sullivan Park renewal and the Cove Shopping Center parking lot upgrade.  Happily, the other four commissioners also disagreed with her and we now have both projects going forward. 

As of this moment I believe our commissioners are on the right track with development in the city, if my thinking changes you will read it right here. 
Do I support Bill Ganz? Yes, of course, as he has the fiscal and quality of Deerfield Beach upper most in his mind, he wants what is best for the city.

Do I support Ben Preston?  Yes, and in a future post you will see the many reasons why.
Do I support Joe Miller?  Well, that road was much rockier for me; however Joe has learned a lot in his time on the commission and is now looking at everything from the viewpoint of what is best for the beach and the whole city.  

Richard Rosenzweig is new to the commission, however he is strong in his belief that the city should be for the residents, and they are the ones he answers to.
We now have a commission who is not in favor of development for the developers gain, but development that enhances the city and adds to the quality of its life. This is a far cry from the commissions of the past when the public was scorned and belittled and behind the door deals were the norm. 

 

3 comments:

  1. Bett;

    Speaking of rocky roads.

    The OSOB and I, and you and I, have had our fair share of bumpy rides...

    But, after much thought and contemplation, I am here, before God and Satan (all hail!) alike, to make a public apology for not "getting" the OSOB stance on over-development. For the record, I was mistakenly in the small minority that voted against the OSOB sponsored mandate.

    Though some might find this hard to believe, I am more than willing to change my mind, admit my mistake, and man up to the drubbing I'm sure to get.

    Such is the case here.

    Anyone that tried to visit the beach during the height of season discovered Deerfield now has "a rush hour." So imagine flooding that area with an even greater density of individuals. Quite obvisously, should we follow Robb's plan, in years to come the island will be nearly impossible to visit during the winter months. Though, on a positive note, in years to come, Robb will be long dead and gone. All hail Satan!

    So kindly this accept this as my apology.

    That being said, 'cause after all I'm still Chaz Stevens, let me be clear.

    There will be issues various members of the OSOB and I will forever disagree upon (namely the DBHA). I'll skip the rehashing here. But whatever those past differences, I think we can both agree Dr. Jarmon is a very welcomed addition to this city (not to mention the $8M RAD check she found for us).

    Chaz Stevens

    PS One final note. For those folks on Facebook, check out Parkland Mayor Michael Udine's page. Udine is like the city's cheerleader ... promoting business, ataboy's to the boys and girls, providing a really welcome repose.

    Contrast that to Jean Robb. Udine is warm and welcoming, Robb is nails on chalkboard. Panda bear versus dung beetle. His yin to her wang shoved up our collective ass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chaz,
    No drubbing from me. I am delighted that you see the damage that could be done to the beach area if the developers are given free rein. Sorry you voted against the OSOB referenda, but as you now see they were necessary, as commissions change and often wind up in the pockets of special interests. Good for you.

    The Housing Authority is a Federal pass through program that really isn’t something that I am involved with. It should be well run, and Dr. Jarmon seems to be very competent.

    I want to emphasize that this blog is mine, not an OSOB publication. I write about things from a personal perspective, I choose topics that I feel strongly about and my opinion is NOT reflective of all members of the OSOB committee, sometimes not even most, except on overdevelopment about which all OSOBs have a common viewpoint.

    You and I will never agree on how to write about issues and people. We have very different agendas, and very, very different styles.

    I am acquainted with Mayor Urdine, he is a credit to his town.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welp!!! It seems like the Devil's pact has been cemented in blood. Satan and his advocate has collected another fount of hypocrisy to help spew his message. I wonder if this deal was replete with 1000 thread count Egyptian cotton "White" sheets. Hail, Noland!!! The OSOB's will obviously whore themselves out to anyone who will listen to their banshee-isque whinings and musings about the The City of Deerfield Beach's beach area, regardless of the affect it has on the other sections of the City.

    Look at this example of Better cozying up to Spaz Stevens, an individual she once despised and wrote post detailing her outrage and musings about. Now, that he's against Robb...The OSOB's are pledging their fealty to Satan and his spawn, a card carrying member of Amnesty International and the NAACP, who just happens to have court records regarding his alleged domestic violence. But its the "Person, not the Actions", huh Bett and OSOB.

    ReplyDelete