Friday, March 15, 2013

Post Election post

Yay!  Richard!!

Richard Rosenzweig is the new commissioner from District 3.  For the first time in many years, District 3 has a commissioner who is dedicated to representing the interests of all the residents of his entire district.  I hope there is a large turnout for him for his swearing in ceremony on the 19th. 

I really had a hard time with this election, I am not sorry that Peggy will not be our mayor.  But I worry about getting the business of the city done with Jean in charge; I won’t go into the history of why I feel this way, suffice it to say I have reasons.  

I hope, as a friend assured me, that her “behavioral rough edges” are offset by her “position on issues”. And, I hope that by now, at her age, the “rough edges” have worn down somewhat.

If Jean realizes, and I hope she does, that she has to embrace all residents, not just the ones who supported her, I will champion her to the skies.

 She has to give to get. I hope she will be able to work collegially with her fellow commissioners, and disagree with them in a rational way. 

I am not a fan of a commission that is all kissy-poo and go-along with each other.  A commission should have spirited debate with strong feelings expressed on some issues; that is a healthy thing.  It shows that there is no behind the scenes collusion as I have suspected of former commissions. 

 However, expressing strong feelings about an issue does not mean personal attacks or demeaning another’s position. Our current commissioners are working to achieve this, I have seen great strides forward on this front, I would hate to see this devolve.

Commissioners set policy and staff carries out their wishes, I hope Jean will be able to work with staff and not try to micromanage the city, and I hope she will make the city better. I will wait and see.

I know one person who went to the polls and put a blank ballot in because they couldn’t bring themselves to vote for either Jean or Peggy and didn’t want to blemish their perfect voting record. I understand the feeling, but I couldn't do that.

I have been told by more than one person that we are in for an interesting time.  Well, there is an old Chinese curse, “May you live in interesting times.” 

I guess I agree with the Chinese, I would rather not live in interesting times.

No comments:

Post a Comment